Oh, hi! My name is Billie Claire, and I am an illustrator and digital artist, specializing in ink drawings, hand lettering, and digital design.
I grew up in the desert mountains of New Mexico, where I chased blue tailed lizards with my sister, built forts, and biked to the pool every summer. From there, I went to school in New Orleans, where I fell in love with both a man (my husband) and a city. I had the privilege of working at Preservation Jazz Hall and as an event planner for the Contemporary Arts Center; and I got to ride the street car to work every day. I love that city like I would a person, and my chest swells when I even think of those oak tree lined streets and the French Quarter. I moved to Austin in 2009, and after working with pups for a bit and full-time teaching for a bit, I quit my day-job and started my own business. Billie Claire is half of what I do, complemented by The Hermes Lab - where I teach after school clubs like sewing and crafts, and enrichment classes like world geography and social studies.
Here are some general thoughts:
1. I freaking love goats and dogs, and cats. And camels and llamas and horses. Really, any creature that has some floofy hair that I can ruffle and snuggle. The Exotic Resort Zoo is my favorite place in Texas, and if you haven’t been there, MAKE IT HAPPEN.
2. I could eat tacos for every meal of every day and still love them.
3. Micron ink pens are the very best, and what I use for every single drawing I make. There is NOTHING BETTER than a brand new ink pen.
4. The natural cubic formation of pyrite is one of my most favorite things; it blows my mind that nature can make something like that, and it’s all MATH. (And chemistry.) (And maybe proof of aliens.)
5. Favorite people include: Roald Dahl. Greg Vendetti. Robert Plant. Bing Crosby. Cab Calloway.